On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Rich Teer wrote:

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Dragan Cvetkovic wrote:

after starting truss -afe -o /dev/null -p 2079, it managed to copy some
10MB of data in one minute or so, but after killing truss, it takes 5
minutes to copy 2MB of data.

What is going on here? How can I find that out?

<Bryan Cantrill>
        This sounds like a job DTrace!  [FX: sounds of feverish typing]
</Bryan Cantrill>

:-)

Yes, I know I should use them, and I wish I know how to do it. Therefore
dtrace-discuss cc-ed :-)

To recapitulate and simplify a bit: I want to copy via NFS a large file
(Solaris Express b17 first iso, some 300MB). My NFS server is a x86 machine
running onnv16, my NFS client is a SPARC machine (SunBlade 100) running
Solaris 10 GA and up to date with patches. They are all on the local
network and e.g. ftp shows the transfer speed of some 8-9MB/s. However, if
I use cp to do the same, it goes extremelly slowly: 1 or 2MB per minute or
even less!

When I truss nfsd on the server, I see that it does a lot of sleeping, when
I trace cp on the client, it does a lot of write() + mmap() of 8MB chunks
and some idling in between. I have tried experimenting with switching off
NFS4 and some other stuff (as I am not completely sure that our NFS4 setup
is completely OK), but didn't help.

Where is the cp source, btw?

Another example of slow transfer: copying these 4 isos to our install
server (using setup_install_server + add_to_install_server) took the whole
day (some 5 to 6 hours!)!

How do I start debugging this problem? Hints are more than welcome.

Thanks and bye, Dragan

--
Dragan Cvetkovic,

To be or not to be is true. G. Boole    No it isn't.  L. E. J. Brouwer