I don't think anybody is getting your point and I think they never will, and it
is the same mentality that has cost sun bigtime in last 3 years (if only sun
had the vision of open sourcing solaris even during or close to dotcom bust, it
would have been opensolaris all over not linux). Doing cool things and
inventing new technologies is one thing, and moving with times and getting
accepted as a useable system is quite another. Linux is miles away from
usability point of view. Opensolaris will be there soon, now that people are
demanding and putting in effort to get things based on what they want.

I have cursed bourne shell everytime I have to boot from CD or boot to safe
mode to do some stuff (you can't really put it in .profile in this case can
you?). you are typing /dev/c0d0s3 when you wanted /dev/c1d0s3, hit backspace
and get ^H. so  you do stty erase ^H. and of course the long typed command is
gone, type it again. No GPM to help you with cut and paste either. Command line
editing is a small thing that makes a huge useability impact. If opensolaris
wants to convert linux users, it should be ready to accept few realities.

I have never understood why is sun still stuck with bourne shell as the default
shell when bash has been a stable and compatible shell for years and is so
popular with developers. I have not seen any catastrophic effect of bash on our
thousands of linux boxes and we have been using them for over a year now. I
have used /bin/sh as a link to /bin/bash on solaris 9 forever and still have to
see something die on me.