> But then I see these failures as well on both disks: ata_set_feature:
> (0x66,0x0) failed
>
> I don't know if that means anything.

That's an ATA-ATAPI5 "SET FEATURES" command with parameter 0x66 which is
failing.  Feature 0x66 is "Disable reverting to power-on defaults".  It seems
that not
all ATA HDDs implement this command;  I've seen the "ata_set_feature:
(0x66,0x0)
failed" message on quite a few S-x86 boxes with IDE/ATA drives and it seems to
be
harmless.

The ATA-ATAPI5 draft standard describes it as:

8.37.20 Enable/disable reverting to defaults

Subcommand codes CCh and 66h allow the host to enable or disable the device from
reverting to power-on default values. A setting of 66h allows settings that may
have
been modified since power-on to remain at the same setting after a software
reset.