On Jul 25, 2005, at 9:52 AM, Keith M Wesolowski wrote:

What Alan was saying is that once a definitive list of differences
exists, it should be possible to implement a clean set of extensions
to ksh93 for backward compatibility; that implementation could then be
used by Solaris and included with OpenSolaris for other distributions
to use as well.

No, we cannot work that way.  OpenSolaris has to lead Solaris in
all respects, including the development of revisions to existing
executables.  The code has to go into OpenSolaris first, developed
to the point where it is compatible, and then used by Solaris in
some future release.  The folks building the Solaris distribution
are fully capable of writing a shell script that selectively chooses
what to include in Solaris based on Sun's business requirements.

Solaris cannot be placed in a position where it determines the
contents of OpenSolaris.  That is a dead-end exercise of tossing
code over the wall whenever Sun sees fit, which is the antithesis
of what we are trying to do with the OpenSolaris communities.

....Roy