On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, TJ Yang wrote:

> There are many discussions happened recently on the matter of package
> management system on  Solaris/OpenSolaris, I am glad to see many
> interests to address the issue of outdated PMS on Opensolaris.
> [...]

TJ,

The project goal states

   "... provide OpenSolaris OS a modern package management system."

It seems to assume that Sun will definitely never open-source its new
(and evolving) package update system, Sun Update Connection (which is
based on Sun's patch tools and technologies). I disagree with that
premise. I think there is a possibility that this technology will be
open-sourced.

Albert White wrote a nice overview of Sun Update Connection
technologies (in an OpenSolaris context) on his blog. See:

http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/albertw?entry=updaing_software_in_the_open

Eric