On 8/8/05, Matt Ingenthron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On a recent services engagement with a customer, one of the admins was
> vi challenged.  He was used to Linux where pico was found on many
> systems.  I helped him get pkg-get on the Solaris 10 system and
> proceeded to pkg-get "pine", which included pico.  However, the set of
> dependencies was SIGNIFICANT.  I don't recall exactly what was on there
> that I didn't expect, but it was stuff like MySQL, OpenLDAP, etc.  All
> stuff that pine to my (admittedly shallow-- I used it back in '95-'97)
> knowledge doesn't depend upon in all installations.

geez .. the way to go would have been to get nano :

    http://www.blastwave.org/packages.php/nano

Which is an upgraded or enhanced pico and world well with very very
few dependencies.

However, your point is well made.  We have tightly coupled
dependencies within the software stack and that can drag in a ton of
software.

> Okay, with that out of the way, I'm going back to silently consuming
> this thread.  :)

But thanks for popping in !!   :-)

Dennis Clarke
Director and Admin for blastwave.org