I propose we take this discussion over to the GNU/Solaris forum here on OpenSolaris.org - do join me there :-)

S.

On Sep 7, 2005, at 15:27, Sven Luther wrote:

On Wed, Sep 07, 2005 at 02:10:08PM +0100, Simon Phipps wrote:

On Sep 7, 2005, at 13:46, Sven Luther wrote:

Now, i believe the OpenSolaris kernel itself is not a problem, since
it is
devoid of any GPL/LGPLed code (am i right there ?). If this where not
the
case, OpenSolaris would be undistributable, so i guess Sun didn't
burden in
this way, especially not when claiming to have the lawyers look over
all the
code all that time back.

Correct. Getting back to the original subject, what does that mean for
the potential of creating Debian/Unix based on OpenSolaris?

Ok, ...

Debian GNU/OpenSolaris, as it would be called, having a OpenSolaris kernel and a GNU userland is not concerned by the GPL incompatibility of the CDDL, but solely on the non-freeness of the CDDL, which seems to involve right now the controversial choice-of-venue clause. At least if you want that effort to be
part of debian, and not create your own thing apart from it.

Now, my opinion is that the choice-of-venue clause problem should be cut in
two, and leave the choice-of-venue to the defendant, as seems to be the
default in international contract law, but it would be nice to have real legal advice on this. This would be akin to old-time duels, where the defendant had
choice of weapons :).

In any case, the choice-of-law is more important and can be set without
problems in the licence.

The second point would include creating a mixed userland of OpenSolaris
and non-OpenSolaris userland, where GPL or LGPL compatibility of the userland
tools would be a big plus to easily intermingle the various apps and
libraries, but not an absolute need, and is a complicated mess due to all the
licences considered.

So, my recomendation is the following :

  1) for the OpenSolaris kernel, change the CDDL to not include
  choice-of-venue.

2) use a different GPL/LGPL compatible licence for the userland, or possibly a dual licenced CDDL/<insert random GPL compatible licene> solution. All userland projects (mozilla, Qt/KDE, OpenOffice), have gone for something
  such.

I am still not sure for the potential of using GPLed kernel drivers with the OpenSolaris kernel, as i am not familiar enough with the technical way the OpenSolaris kernel operates, but as long as there is a clear interface between
the kernel and modules, the derivative-work-thingy will not cross this
boundary, anymore than it does for linux modules.

Friendly,

Sven Luther