On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 13:29 -0800, Rich Teer wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, Erast Benson wrote:
>
> > As a side note: for Linux kernel this code "separation" will *never*
> > work since Linux and its development team doesn't care about such a
> > drivers. Maintaining separated drivers for Linux kernel is extremely
> > painful work and requires a lot of workers (examples VMware drivers)
> > which small OSS project just can not afford.
>
> ALl the more reason for those driver developers to abandon Linux and
> target OpenSolaris!

Indeed! The question is what we can do to speed up the "conversion"?

I feel like not all of Linux kernel folks even understand the beauty of
stable kernel interfaces. I feel like we (OpenSolaris community) need to
educate independent Linux developers in this regard.

What if Sun will start thinking about organization of some sort of free
kernel seminars or summits like OpenSolaris Kernel Summits, where in
addition to discussing future kernel development, developers could be
educated for free, etc.

--
Erast