> > It hangs in GRUB's gateA20() subroutine,
>
> How did you figure it out?!?!?!?!  I'd love to know the process you used!

By adding "debug printfs" to the grub source code; I used
console_putchar(char) calls.  And building a custom bootable Solaris x86 CD
with the modified boot/grub/stage2_eltorito file.

The character printed before the gateA20(1) call in init_bios_info()
appeared on the console, the character printed after the gateA20(1)
call doesn't appear on the console.

The next try was with more console_putchar calls added to the
gateA20() code.  This narrowed it down to the loop waiting for an
empty keyboard controller input buffer.