<snippity snip snip>
> What packages should be migrated over and treated as parts of the
> system?  I don't doubt that we've missed the boat here, and that there
> are common parts that "everybody" installs.  Do we have a plan for
> them?
>
> I think it'd be great to have a place to discuss all this.  I don't
> have a stake in this -- I don't really care whether the answer is
> Blastwave, sunfreeware, companion CD, or anything else -- other than
> seeing that the Open Solaris community looks at the problem seriously.

Considering this is OpenSolaris, I'd like to see it here. I don't want to
have discussions strewn about all over the world, and I really don't want
to have to hunt down whichever group of people is working on whichever
chunk of OSOL. No thanks, let's keep it all in one spot.

> If all it ends up doing is recommending some existing solution, I'd be
> thrilled.

I would *not*. Neither works for me. This is why we *need* a place to
discuss these issues, and quite frankly, I don't want to have to sign up
at Blastwave to discuss OSOL related issues. I'll sign up there if I want
to discuss Blastwave related issues.

What has been discussed before on this list, and what will likely continue
to be discussed *is* an OSOL issue. It is entirely seperated from
Blastwave/sunfreeware/etc. Those are potential solutions to the
fundamental problem. The fundamental problem is what needs addressing, and
if bits and pieces of those existing solutions can be used, cool.. but I
want to discuss it. Neither of those solutions I mentioned work for me in
their current state. Hence, I had to build everything myself. We need to
have a place to discuss these topics with everybody involved. Favoring
blastwave/sunfreeware/whomever and using their project as a "forum" for
this discussion isn't going to work for me. That would be doing the same
thing that Sun is constantly being accused of doing right now on this very
list!

Can we stop bickering now and create a discussion forum? At least those
involved could bicker-it-out there, and then I can subscribe once the dust
has settled.

David