On Wednesday 12 April 2006 11:02 pm, Bart Smaalders wrote:
> I'm both a user of blastwave and another Sun engineer
> cycle-stealing on this project.  From my point of view,
> what I'd like to see happen with a community software
> distribution for Solaris Nevada is:
>
> 1) large scale participation of OpenSolaris developers/users.
> 2) automatic installation of required software dependencies
> 3) compilation on recent enough Solaris version that modern
>     features can be enabled.  Eg mplayer can use XVideo, SSE,
>     SMF, etc; where appropriate, amd64 bit versions, etc.
> 4) No duplication/replacement of libraries already
>     present in the target Solaris release.

I think I'm completely on the same page as Bart and others that may align with
these goals. Certainly there could be things that need looking at, but I
would first like to know what the community needs are before trying to
determine that.

This seems like a good set of initial goals to have, AFAIC.

--

Alan DuBoff - Sun Microsystems
Solaris x86 Engineering