On Fri, 5 May 2006, Darren J Moffat wrote:

Holger Berger wrote:
On 5/5/06, Joerg Schilling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"Holger Berger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What if the "application" is the shell itself? The shell cannot access

This is not really true..... the shell may access the files after it has been
started using runat(1) or in case you did 'cd -@ file' on a xattrs enabled
shell.

Is there **ANY** shell which actually supports this amyelencephalus?

What is that word you keep using I can't find a definition for it.

You didn't properly search then :)

amyelencephalia (amy·el·en·ce·pha·lia)
        congenital absence of the brain and spinal cord.

amyelencephalus (amy·el·en·ceph·a·lus)
        a fetus exhibiting amyelencephalia.

(Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary, you'll find it via Google)

Can you please stick to plain simple English. I'm a native English speaker and I can't follow what you mean, there are lots of people on this list who are not native speakers.

Please don't try to be so snobbish and ignore the expertise and

Please give DETAILS rather than just unsupported statements.

The problem with "Extended Attributes" is that people understand different things by the term. One camp says "it's key/value pairs and nothing else", the others say "It's like 'Mac' resource forks - anything goes don't limit your dreams".

It is possible to implement key/value xattrs on top of what we do, but not vice versa. And admittedly, a xattr implementation that does nothing else key/value types is more efficient at _that_ than a "kludge" on top of our more-generic xattrs. It's also more limited. Well - pick your evil.

FrankH.

--
Darren J Moffat