Holger Berger wrote:

There is no way for a shell script to read, write, rename or delete an
attribute file.

Huh ?

runat(1)

    Example 2: Creating extended attributes

     example% runat file.2 cp /tmp/attrdata attr.1
     example% runat file.2 cat /tmp/attrdata > attr.1

Applications without special support for the openat()
API have no way to access the files either.

Thats the whole point of them.

All utilities, including
those needed for backup and administration, need to be made XATTR
aware - something which is unique in the whole history of Unix.

Err nope what about ACLs ?
What about MAC labels for UNIX systems that have those ?

other file system change required such a drastic step yet.

So what get over it.

star(1) supports them., as does the default tar(1) and rcp(1) on Solaris and so does tar(1), rcp(1), on MacOS X. IIRC Legato Networker does as well as does Vertias NetBackup.

Applications started with runat(1) do not have a proper parent
directory which confuses most applications and causes crashes.

So thats a bug maybe we can work on.

What are you trying to do with XATTRs ? It would really help me understand why you are so against them if I could have some context of what you are trying to do. It maybe they are just not the appropriate tool for the job or maybe there really are some bugs in the OpenSolaris code base that need to be fixed.

--
Darren J Moffat