On May 30, 2006, at 9:47 PM, Kaiwai Gardiner wrote:

Personally, I'd love for Solaris x86 to get to the point where we aren't bitching about hardware support or lack of ISV's, but instead complaining about how we're *TOO* productive with Solaris, and how there are too many software and hardware pices we can choose from.

HW support is an issue (known and acknowledged by Sun engineers), and it is being worked on. This takes time. Maybe you weren't, but I was dealing with linux in the .99-pre days, and OSOL is FAR ahead of where linux was during this this period. It takes *time*. It took linux 5-6 years, from the .99-pre point I got involved, until it was semi-usable on a fair amount of HW. OSOL is in the same boat, but it is progressing much more rapidly.

Concerning ISVs, Solaris/OSOL has way more support than linux ever did during it's inception. OSOL is new, and it is gaining ground at a phenomenal pace. Don't criticize a project for doing it's best, offer input (negative or positive) in a constructive manner. Code submissions are more than welcome, I am absolutely sure. This isn't the issue I was commenting about, however, nor is it the content of the majority of your recent posts, and that is the problem.

The day when I hear someone complain on this forum about the fact that there are too many choices when it comes to desktop publishing, photo manipulation and music capturing etc. on Solaris x86, then I think Solaris has made progress.

I agree, if people are complaining about too many choices, Solaris (maybe you meant OSOL?) is in a good position.

The day when I hear geeks say, "why would I want to run Linux when I can run Solaris, have a great desktop, and all those awesome mainstream applications", then Solaris has made progress - until then, Solaris will remain the red headed step child of the x86 UNIX world, with FreeBSD and Linux users asking why they should move to a platform that is wowfully lacking in hardware support, mainstream software vendor support and lacks any strong direction from the powers that be.

That's funny, and THIS was the reason for my post. I moved from Linux (Debian) to FreeBSD for various reasons, mostly technical, around the 2.2.x days. Now, I've moved to Solaris 10 for the same reasons. Usability comes with USERS. People are interested in OSOL (this mailing list makes it apparent.) Usability will follow. The key is users providing constructive feedback, code, and so forth to improve things as they wish. Just like it happened with linux from .99-pre on, from FreeBSD 2.x on, and so forth.

This most recent mail from you clarifies the important things that need to occur in order to make OSOL viable on the desktop (as you so wish.) And I'm sure *anybody* reading this mail from you would have absolutely no problem with it, and would be more than happy to help clarify things, expand on the roadmap, give you the current direction and so forth. The key is how you deal with us (the community.) When you approach us (the OSOL community) in the manner you displayed in *THIS* mail, all of us would do our best to help you, clarify things, and provide what you ask. We're all open to your opinions as well, and your opinions very well may change our viewpoints, or at least give us more direction. This is what constructive discussion does! This is what the community needs! Not negative harsh feedback with no basis, and unsupported and unsubstantiated claims of meaninglessness simply aimed at hurting those involved. I hope you spend time to reflect on that, and I sincerely hope the rest of your stay on this mailing list is as clear and non-inflamitory as the post I am replying to. Nobody is out to get you, we are all here by choice. You should be too. If you truly want the OSOL community/project to succeed, please be a part of the positive influence that is needed for it to do so. I truly hope that your intent with this most recent post was to head in a more positive direction, because we need to stick together if what you want (Solaris/OSOL on the desktop) is to be true.

Thanks,
David\