Philip Brown wrote:
While blastwave does it, I can't use blastwave as a part of some
other solution. And that's the problem with all the package
management systems - they're fine, as long as you use them in
complete isolation.
Exactly. Say I want PHP to run with the bundled Apache. Blastwave won't do this, unlike Fink, for example.

why the heck would you want to do that, though?

Say because of having an existing set of configuration against the bundled Apache and just wanting to add PHP, not starting again configuring everything else from scratch with the Blastwave version. In principle most of the config might copy across, but that's not the point.

Last time this was discussed, I think others raised the question of compiling a package against the bundled GTK libraries as well as some add-on.

Hugh.