The aim is for developers.  Since ATI and nVidia control the majority of the market, we should get your friend's problem fixed.

W. Wayne Liauh wrote:
Recently I had a friend ask me why his ATI graphics
card was not working
with Solaris 10 Update 2.  I asked him what kind of
machine it was and it
turned out to be some common dog hardware.  Nothing
fancy.  But he was
convinced that the graphics card was being ignored
because the installation
was happening in nothing but text mode.

<snip>

--
Dennis Clarke

I could be wrong, but I don't think Solaris is being developed with an aim, or any slightest interest, to reach out to Windows/Linux users.

Again, I could be wrong, but everything I have experienced (except BeleniX, but how much support is it geting?) tells me that I am not.

/home/harpster/.signature Stephen Harpster
Director, Open Source Software
Sun Microsystems, Inc.