Liane,

I would quote the text :
Because of this, we decided that SMF was a good foundation to build upon. Doing
so meant we could automatically handle any service currently in SMF, and without
modification handle new services delivered in future releases of Solaris or by
ISVs. Additionally, we could make incremental enhancements to the data stored in
SMF that would allow service authors to instantly gain improved functionality
for a relatively minor cost. Lastly, we could provide a means for service
authors to deliver a custom interface for their service. This would be
particularly useful in those cases where the underlying configuration was more
complicated than a user should be forced to deal with, or when the configuration
wasn't published via SMF.

I understand the VP isn't totally focused at SMF, but you have to admit that
it's certainly where the main focus is. You mention being interested in the
desktop preferences earlier on that page, but if I'm not mistaken most of this
will be done by using JDS / GNOME tools - e.g. including the
gnome-control-center launchers in the VP UI. So for now, we will still need to
fix these things in GNOME until some alternative is available.

As far as I'm concerned, while there is overlap between the two projects, what
I'm looking at for the JDS/GNOME Single System Admin project is to try meet some
immediate needs of people while waiting for VP to mature, but also to look at
trying to meet these needs on Solaris 10 as well. All the tools I'm proposing so
far only use the underlying OS configuration tools to do their work - these
could just as easily be replaces with something that works with VP's
mechanisms... I would certainly be against having to store configuration in more
than one location, that's how people get really confused.

I would be hoping that anything we do would not be in vain, and that it will be
re-usable even when VP is active. We've discussed this at length before, and
there is a plan to move towards VP in the long-term, but in the short-term we
still need something to try attract people that have already used the tools I'd
be looking at, on an other platform like Ubuntu. And the aim is that VP will
provide the integration point for all of these tools when it's ready and we can
begin to migrate people to the VP alternative as it become available.

I cannot see why people are against two projects here - isn't this what open
source is meant to be about, providing alternatives - there will always be
people who prefer vi to emacs, GNOME to KDE, etc. - and vice versa of course ;)
Not to mention the various distros being produced, like Nexenta, BeleniX,
SchilliX, etc.

I look forward to when our two projects will be ready to work together, but in
the meantime I think there is a need to press ahead on the JDS/GNOME SSA work to
get something in place sooner to get people playing with Solaris.

Darren.