> Martin Bochnig wrote:
> > Are you afraid of publically being expected to opensource all your
> (mostly eol'ed) gfx drivers?
> > Or is it that you yourself don't believe in sparc anymore.
>
> Sun believes in SPARC servers such as the Sun Fire T1000/T2000, but
> there isn't as much work going on in SPARC graphics/workstations any more.
> The few people left in SPARC graphics sadly simply don't have the time to
> deal with Xorg, OpenSolaris, or releasing specs to the open source
> community.

I understand that, but it is a pity.

> (For those boards we'd even be allowed to - anything PCI-based is a OEM'ed
> board
>   covered by NDA's with the vendors we buy them from

Okay.
But this is not too hard because Xorg already supports a few of those chipsets
(Permedia_1/2/3[glint], Ati_*).
Only the XVR-600, 1000 and 1200 might be problematic.
Don't have any of them and don't know, what the latter are based on. I will
have to look into that later on.

> - only the older Sbus
> & UPA
>   boards were Sun creations.)

It would be really nice if I could redistribute the closed /dev/fb driver for
those older chipsets.
Even just in binary form would absolutely be enough.
The rest (XFree86 and Xorg) will work with no further things required of being
opened up.
How are the chances?

> In the X group, we'd love to see Xorg on all SPARC graphics boards so we
> could
> start phasing out Xsun on SPARC too, but it's out of our hands.

Aha.
Okay.

Martin