On Monday 07 August 2006 03:59 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Why?  OSI is what matters and OSI has made CDDL one of 9 "preferred"
> licenses.

Right, but the OSI doesn't actually write open source software.

> I'm sorry; I don't follow.  GPL is not an entity which allows are
> accepts; do you mean the FSF?

Sure, or the folks that would bless it. If Debian is a problem, to work out
with the Debian folks why CDDL doesn't mix with GPL.

> I'm sorry Alan, but the reason why we use the CDDL is precisely because
> the GPL is a "viral" license; it's the GPL which limits mingling
> with foreign code.

Agreed, but if those very folks restrict the use of CDDL, it doesn't matter
who blesses the CDDL, IMO.

> Because OpenSolaris contains a large body of foreign code we cannot
> use the GPL and because we do not use the GPL we cannot mingle with
> the GPL.  We knew that but we cannot change that.  But it's an issue
> with the GPL; not an issue with the CDDL.

It is an issue for CDDL, as a case in point it seems that Debian is having a
problem, yet what it is exactly is not clear to me, but there seems to be
some contention.

--

Alan DuBoff - Sun Microsystems
Solaris x86 Engineering - IHV/OEM Group