On Monday 07 August 2006 10:24 pm, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> This is really strange, so you like the hard to memorize options from cdrw?
> Well, it does not support many of them.... tell me how you would design a
> program that supports nearly 100 options without using long options.

I would change the interface, and use something graphical, which could display
those in a more readable and managable form. I'm not saying that you should
get rid of the CLI, quite the opposite if folks want to use it.

However, the very fact that the majority of users of cdrecord probably use a
GUI front end might provide some type of silent feedback to you.

Think about it, programs like X-ripper, Arson, or K3b are proof that most
users might not be good at remembering 170 options for a program.

As for the "hard to memorize" options of cdrw, I use all of about 3 in the
absolute worst scenario, and I usually don't specify speed or device, it
actually knows without me telling it.

-i = image
-p = speed
-d = device
-C = get size where it should be gotten from, the media, since all of your
     media will most likely support more than the default size 10 years ago

For about 99% of the time I use:

$ cdrw -C -i ./image.iso

I don't use the manpage often, but if I do I prefer as much info as can be
provided, and I have no problem with yours. I can search for Example to find
usage.

But I don't want to have to use the manpage, at all, if it's not needed. I'd
much rather have a nice GUI, call me new fashioned if you will. I always
liked the way iTunes worked by default, if you put a music CD in it just
asked you where you want to save them. Easy enough to cancel if you don't
want to rip them.
--

Alan DuBoff - Sun Microsystems
Solaris x86 Engineering - IHV/OEM Group