>On 10/18/06, Josh Hurst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > Your fear-mongering is completely misplaced just plain unacceptable.
>> Please understand that I am trying to start a generalised discussion
>> whether all this bureaucracy is REQUIRED. No other Open Source project
>> requires this kind of excessive bureaucracy overhead.
>>
>> I do not feel very well that I have to kickstart this discussion but I
>> think the excessive delays in the ksh93 integration project are no
>> longer bearable and require at least a look at the general process.
>>
>> I'd like to start a constructive discussion about the problems because
>> a reform is overdue
>I've added the CAB discussion list to the CC: for comments. IMO the
>problem should be discussed before any new projects are started. We
>need a new, streamlined process which makes sure that projects are no
>longer trashed with excessive bureaucracy

This is assuming that there is a problem; three CAB members did take
part in the development process discussions (Al, Rich and me) and
I don't think we so fault in it.  Of course, we're all Solaris/Sun
fanboys and believe that the way in which we architect and develop
is "The One True Way(TM)".
Is there any other Open Source project which has similar bureaucracy
requirements? The integration of ksh93 is an item which the average
Linux distribution does in days or weeks while OpenSolaris.org needs 8
months to present another list of bureaucracy items which still need
to be finished. I think it is excessive to the point of mental injury
that such a simple project gets delayed by a factor of 40.
Applying the same bureaucracy to other projects will lead to the
destruction of OpenSolaris.org. I predict that either the number of
contributors will cease or a full fork of OpenSolaris.org (the whole
organisation, not the Solaris kernel) may appear, drawing all
attention and contributors to the new project
--
Josh