On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 11:37:55AM -0800, Peter Buckingham wrote:
> Stephen Lau wrote:
> >Are you intending to provide any source, or do any open development?
>
> The plan is to provide the SDK initially so that we establish the apis
> that we use for use in other projects (eg. http://www.fedora.info)
>
> Once we have some agreement on that we will look at opening up
> Honeycomb. We'd like to involve the community in figuring out the best
> way to do that. Honeycomb is a complicated system and we want to work
> out the best way to open it usefully to developers out in the world.
>
> I hope that clarifies things a bit.

Hi Peter,
        Hrm.. I'm on the fence about it I guess.  It just seems like
there is too high a probability of publishing an SDK, soliciting
feedback, and then never seeing anything - especially when you say "we
will look at opening up Honeycomb."  That's just not enough commitment
for me to give this a +1.
        It's nothing personal - I'm just kind of tired of too many
projects being proposed on opensolaris.org, people ratifying them with
+1 - and no source being published, or no open development happening.
It's been bugging me for a while, and I've decided to start being a
prick about it now.

        Why do you need to wait for agreement on the SDK before you
open source parts of Honeycomb?  Are there legal issues?  If there
aren't legal encumberances, then just publish the code.  If there are,
then sort them out - and then come back and propose the project.  I just
don't want to see more stale stagnant projects littering the place.

cheers,
steve
--
stephen lau // [EMAIL PROTECTED] | 650.786.0845 | http://whacked.net
opensolaris // solaris kernel development