On Wednesday 31 January 2007 05:16 pm, Dennis Clarke wrote:
> All in all we may be doing the best that we can given the circumstances.
>
> Let' face the facts, a very closed process hidden behind layers of
> concrete and security is being brought open.  We see piles of traffic
> from Sun folks here out in the open.  Its been a long haul and yes,
> some progress has been made.  Perhaps I simply expected ... more.

I don't know what anyone should expect. Sun took a very closed process and
opened it up, even when most outside folks laughed at the thought of it, in
regards to existing licenses on the code.

Sun has made huge strides to working with outside folks, it just needs more
time to mature more, but I think we've done a pretty good job consider all
the legal tape that exists with such code.

But trust me, there is no lower bar inside Sun, and I wouldn't consider myself
to be accepted by the movers and shakers of Solaris proper either. So,
outsiders shouldn't feel alienated, everyone is alienated the same.<g> Yes,
things continue to change, and barriers get broken all the time. In this
regard Sun is making huge improvements in the right direction. The fact is
that external folks face the same challenges as internal folks, just that
they don't see it the same and think they're at a dis-advantage.

Let us not forget that the process we speak of is the same process that made
Solaris into the great product that many of us think it is, today. It's hard
to critisize a process that has turned out such a great product.

This is why I don't really care what the license is, as long as we can work in
the open source communities. People can split all the hairs they want over
licensing, but I consider Solaris/OpenSolaris to be a huge success already.
As we gain more acceptance in other communities (BSD, Linux, Apple, Intel,
IBM, etc...), we will only be more successful and continue to grow.

We have more interest from IHVs/OEMs than ever before, and there's a lot of
interest in folks using it.

No, we won't elliminate world hunger by changing the license, but we might be
able to feed more people in our community by doing so. If so, I'm all for it.
Creating more hunger would be a bad thing, although many would like to put
the blame on Sun for any that does happen.

--

Alan DuBoff - Solaris x86 Engineering - IHV/OEM Group
Advocate of insourcing at Sun - hire people that care about our company!