Dennis Clarke wrote On 02/01/07 10:16,:
Joerg Schilling wrote On 02/01/07 04:27,:

Jim Grisanzio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Are you saying we are not growing fast enough?

You cannot enforce this kind of growing speed
and I believe that our growing speed is just OK.

I'd like to grow a bit faster, but in general I absolutely agree with
your comment here. Thanks.

All in all we may be doing the best that we can given the circumstances.

Let' face the facts, a very closed process hidden behind layers of
concrete and security is being brought open.  We see piles of traffic
from Sun folks here out in the open.  Its been a long haul and yes,
some progress has been made.  Perhaps I simply expected ... more.

I think it's fine to expect more -- as long as you realize how far we've come, how far we plan to go, and how diverse the community will grow. Ignoring achievements is just as bad as ignoring problems. I appreciate your recognition of our progress as well as your articulation of the things that need fixing.

To me, one of the interesting things about the OpenSolaris project is that the original team (pre-pilot, pre S10, long time ago) was very small and actually had very /few/ expectations (aside from the obvious need for tools, an open license, infrastructure, etc). We managed things that were of immediate concern, knowing full well that the project would emerge over time. This is a critical point many of us are forgetting. The opening of Solaris engineering organization (code, tools, people) and the building of the OpenSolaris community didn't happen on June 14, 2005. It just /started/ then and remains an ongoing process. Expect more. More is coming. But it's now not only coming from Sun.

I was talking to a Sun guy in China recently on my way to a university. He said that there would be 300 or so students at the event when we got there. Well, there were actually 600! And it turns out that they had a similar event a few weeks prior, but they had to "turn the buses back" because they ran out of room for everyone. OpenSolaris will look different in different places, but the seeds are being planted for innovation to come from all directions. It's still /very/ early.

Jim