Alan DuBoff wrote:
The average user just wanted to download a distribution, install it, and use it. They come to OpenSolaris thinking it's a distribution, since this is how Sun has marketed it, that they have open sourced Solaris. People associate Solaris with Xorg, <gasp> GNOME, and other pieces such as CUPS, sfw, companion cd, etc...

Bullshit is a good description of what the user is left with at the end of the day, if they do install OpenSolaris as we know it today. Most sensible folks install Solaris Express and lay OpenSolaris over the top, so they don't have to figure out how to get the Xorg package you tossed over the firewall to work.

If they want a distro, they install Solaris Express, Nexenta, Belenix or Schillix, and they have OpenSolaris. There is no such thing as "lay
OpenSolaris over the top".  If they want to work with the code or try even
newer bits, they download the sources for the parts they're interested in
and build, or the binaries for those parts like ON & JDS that make pre-built
binaries available - but if they don't do any of these they're still running
the same code we make available via OpenSolaris.

If we did as you seem to be trying to suggest and took all the code we've
released, built & packaged it, put a installer on it, why then we'd end up
with something almost exactly like Solaris Express, so we don't waste our
time duplicating that effort and just tell people who want a binary distro
to use Solaris Express.

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-           [EMAIL PROTECTED]