On 2/5/07, Doug Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 2/2/07, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> >
> > >And how far have the star or ksh projects
> progressed? The last one
> > >appears to be in serious trouble now because Sun
> has to complain about
> > >every little detail and the star project makes
> either zero progress or
> > >no progress announcements.
> >

> > The only problem in the ksh93 project is people who
> are not part of
> > the project team and who are not participating in
> the review and
> > who understand bugger all of the processes we
> created for OpenSolaris
> > and which have worked reasonably well for Sun
> internally, butting
> > in with inflamatory remarks when there's even the
> slightest hint
> > of constructive criticism in messages from Sun
> employees.
>
> The major problem with the ksh93 project is Sun
> Microsystems who is
> adding more and more mindless rules. Once one task
> has been finished
> Sun always comes up with two more items. Which kind
> of cooperation is
> this? I really think there are too many rules. They
> may work within
> Sun and may even explain the degradation of quality
> once Sun tries to
> ship it (re: JDS versus normal Gnome) but this is
> hardly appropriate
> for an Open Source project.

Hmmm, how did JDS/gnome come up here??? Since it has, I assume
you don't like the look & feel of JDS, and would prefer Gnome. This
is a subjective view rather than a "degradation of quality" or inappropriate
for a Open Source project.

Few examples:
Linux+Gnome is much faster than Solaris+JDS on the same AMD hardware.
JDS+Solaris needs more memory than Linux+Gnome (same hardware). 512MB
are enough for Linux, Solaris starts swapping after a few hours of
usage and doesn't stop until swap is full. JDS doesn't grok Gnome
session files from Linux.

Sure, this is soooo subjective. Let's ignore these problems and add
more colorful branding to JDS.

Josh