On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Laszlo (Laca) Peter wrote:
Hi all,

So the /usr/gnu proposal[1] was approved by PSARC.  Obviously, the
reason for defining /usr/gnu wasn't theoretical -- it allows moving
GNU packages from /usr/sfw to /usr or /usr/gnu and it helps us
integrating more GNU packages into Solaris.  We have already seen
the first few putbacks (m4, bison).

The JDS team (well, Dermot ;) is working on adding more packages
(mostly the tools required for building JDS).  Obviously, it's easier
for us to deliver these through the JDS consolidation.  However, they
really don't belong there.  Neither do some of the packages we already
deliver into Solaris, like Python, libpng, libogg, etc.

I think the GNU Solaris community would be a perfect place for these,
if it wasn't a community but a project (or a consolidation?).
I propose that we launch a project that aims for creating a repository
of spec files that follow the /usr/gnu rules.  Sun could pick the
packages that we want to integrate into Solaris and support, other
packages could be available from opensolaris.org with community support
only.

How does this relate to:

SFW: If proven successful, it would gradually phase out SFW.  The idea
    is that this repository would be more inclusive (i.e. not only
    supported Solaris packages) and easier to contribute to than SFW.

CCD: Again, if proven successful, supersedes it.  One big difference is
    that the CCD installs to /opt, while this repository would install
    to /usr.

JDS: Co-exist.  Non-desktop related tools and libs could be moved to
    this new repository.

SFE: We have 200+ spec files written by various Sun and non-Sun opensolaris
    community members here:
    http://pkgbuild.svn.sf.net/viewvc/pkgbuild/spec-files-extra/trunk/
    Those that satisfy the /usr/gnu criterion of being listed in
    the FSF/UNESCO free software directory can be moved into the
    new repository (after some clean-up and testing).

Blastwave: This project would not support older releases of Solaris,
    not even S10.  It would install to /usr and would not duplicate
    anything that is already in Solaris (especially since some of
    those parts of Solaris would be build from this repo).

Thanks,
Laca

[1]
http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/opensolaris-arc/2007-January/000884.html

Big +1 from me.

Note however that if this project doesn't cover Solaris 10, it can't
potentially supersede the CCD because the CCD (/opt/sfw) is a component of
Solaris 10 and delivers to Solaris 10 updates.

Eric