On Tuesday 27 March 2007 04:49 am, Shawn Walker wrote:
> "fat unstable GNOME" -- you realise that Sun chose GNOME as the
> desktop a long time ago for Solaris? I also think that your
> description of GNOME is rather unfair, and rather inaccurate.

It might be innacurate, but this has long been the view from a good number of
community members.

> > I'd want sun cc compiled packages and stable sun
> > libraries with gcc and glibc stuff available separately.
>
> That's what we have right now at last check.

Which is a real mess. When gcc is used, the ABI is not compatible with
SunStudio, and seems to cause problems.

Oddly, I do run an old version of KDE 3.1.1 which is from the s10 GA companion
CD, on some machines. I also run Stefan Teleman's SunStudio compile of 3.3.1
and 3.4.3 which works well.

If anyone wants to have a build of KDE with SunStudio, help if you can, that
effort is kicking up in the KDE community.

--

Alan DuBoff - Solaris x86 Engineering - IHV/OEM Group
Advocate of insourcing at Sun - hire people that care about our company!