Alan DuBoff wrote:
On Thursday 05 April 2007 07:23 pm, Shawn Walker wrote:
I've had many a "live upgrade" go awry over the years with Linux
distributions. I'd be more impressed with a reliable upgrade system,
even if it requires a reboot with media or special boot mode that is
<snip>
apt ain't perfect, and I'm not sure any solution will be perfect, but we can probably do something better than apt. apt is pretty old already. opensolaris has the advantage that apt is already around. Would be good to borrow the good from it and have our own. And I don't mean borrow in the sense of code, but in the sense of concept/functionality.

I hope 'old' per se isn't perceived as necessarily bad. Old and thoroughly debugged/stable/reliable is a really nice thing for lots of us.

I'm generally satisfied with the SVR4 package mechanism.

In all the discussion I've seen to date on the dependency problem I've not noticed anyone else precisely mention this: There are cases in which I will not be willing to install a given unit of software because I am not willing to install some other unit it depends upon. So I would not want apt or similar tools to blithely install without warning me up front.

I'd personally probably be quite happy if pkgadd and/or pkginfo were augmented so as to be able to draw me a nice tree diagram which shows me what I have to remove first and add first to be able to install a given package or collection of packages.

Maybe the rest of you need more than I do.
--
Jerry Sutton    [EMAIL PROTECTED]