Bart Smaalders wrote:
Manoj Joseph wrote:
Bart Smaalders wrote:

We really want our home directories today to always be /home/<user>
in /etc/passwd; that way things Just Work (TM) when we move from
host to host.

I agree that it makes a lot of sense to be consistent.

But hey, the installer, by default creates the filesystem '/export/home' and the name seems to suggest that that is the place to house home directories.

Is that not the intent of that filesystem? Am I just confused? ;)

-Manoj

Solaris encourages users to have a single home directory across multiple
machines; I can log into any machine at Sun and my home directory is
always the same.

In order to do this, we need to use part of the namespace in the filesystem in a location transparent fashion; the /home automounter
map does this.  If I log into my desktop cyber (which contains my home
directory and exports it via nfs), cyber's automounter loopback
mounts /export/home/cyber/barts onto /home/barts; if I log
into jurassic the automounter there mounts cyber:/export/home/cyber/barts onto /home/barts and my files are
where they belong.  Thus my nis passwd entry's home directory
entry of /home/barts always works....

If useradd
  creates home in /export/home/cyber/barts,
  adds the entry /home/barts in /etc/passwd and
  sets up automounter to lofs mount /export/home/cyber/barts,
could be the _default_ behavior, it would be great.

Cheers
Manoj