I did research about 5 years ago regarding HSM file systems. QFS/SAMFS was a
leading contender in that space. It also had the added benefit of having a
truly massive ability to scale. (We ended up going with another product,
because our first choice of optical jukeboxes was not supported.)

This is truly great news for the both the OpenSolaris and the greater FOSS
communities. This should definitely be a supported project.

As far as file naming conventions go, we may want to wait to make any
decisions until a project is approved. That said, I'd say my first
preference would be to give precedence to projects that are going into
Solaris Express (unless there are truly mitigating circumstances).

Ideally the project team would re-factor QSAMFS to allow installation in a
user specified location. Other improvements would deal with installation and
configuration ease. I'd also really like to see the large scale clustering
capabilities of QSAMFS brought to ZFS. Wouldn't it be cool if you could have
a cluster meta zpool, so that any host in your data center could be
configured to painlessly allow file system growth from a a shared storage
pool? Might as well bring HSM to ZFS while we are at it. ;)

-brian

P.S. - It would be an interesting project to add the ability to track and
optionally upload package usage in a future named Solaris release, with an
optional capability to upload those useage stats to an anonymous repository
maintained by OpenSolaris or Sun. This way Sun might be able to remove
unused bits from their OS. I know it's probably a bad solution to a solved
problem, but I do think the data could be useful, in other ways.