--- Ignacio Marambio Catán <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > I love the desktop analogies. People use Fedora in
> > server farms. I have used Fedora in server farms.
> We
> > are most definitely interested in the source code.
> How
> > else are we suppose to integrate previously
> > half/non-integrated pieces of software together?
>
> i'd fire any of my sysadmins if i ever catch them
> using fedora in any
> production server. you dont use unsupported software
> there. do not
> ever underestimate the value of blaming someone else
> when things
> break. And people have used solaris for many years
> without the
> sources.

Please go live in a bank vault and take your bank only
mentality with you.

> > OH BTW, before you get side-tracked, Casper made a
> > comment about source code in general and not just
> Sun
> > code. Linux users very well would be interested in
> the
> > source code and compilation methods of binary
> packages
> > included in the distribution.
> >
> you cant support source only packages and let your
> users compile them
> anyway they want, there are simply too many
> variables to consider. I
> think you actually void the support from redhat if
> you dont use one of
> the provided kernels.

Muhahahaha. What support from Redhat? There is a
reason why Fedora or Centos was chosen. Although
Redhat has programmers and engineers involved in
various parts that make up their Linux distribution,
they are not the upstream and any serious
bugs/problems that are found can be taken to their
appropriate list besides other software that they just
package with maybe a patch or a score applied.

> imho, source code availability is a plus but to your
> regular sysadmin
> is just one tiebreaker

Yeah, just limit Solaris to either carrier grade level
or dumb MSCE level of which the later is pretty much
impossible at the moment.