John Sonnenschein wrote:
A big -1 from me

We don't need YetAnotherDistro to jump start the community ( some might argue that Ian-diana does the opposite, since it's entirely a Sun initiative ), we need open development.
Sun is trying to do Open Development here. If you don't like it, than do not participate or download anything which comes from this project. That is your choice.

As it stands we have a bug database behind sun's firewall that stuff occasionally goes missing from and other times is entirely useless ( "see description" isn't a useful description ), and a code repo which is similarly behind sun's walls.
I do not think that you will get too many arguments with what you say about the current bug database, but what has this got to do with this project proposal?

As for the distro idea itself, if sun wants to build another distro, that's
their perogative, but we already have a couple fine unencumbered distros as it
is ( BeleniX, Nexenta ), so what's the point of this one, beyond another
product that Sun Microsystems can sell support for?

Yes we do have BeleniX and Nexenta. Just because we have them, does/should not exclude anybody creating a new distribution. You can always vote with your feet.

Doug