On 6/1/07, John Sonnenschein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 6/1/07, Giles Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I feel that you will never ever get what Ian is going to do from the
> OpenSolaris community. Not from Solaris users. Period.

This doesn't strike you as a bad thing? That's a sign of a lack of
transparency, and without transparency what you're doing isn't open
source.

Which is why I am all for that Ian is trying to get done. No
repositories because current solaris toolchains do not support them,
existing tools that do that outside Solaris space are pooh poohed, the
repository model of distribution pooh poohed, solaris users pointing
to the patch system for system software management which is hardly
transparent and coupled with the fact that even some solaris users are
not happy with those tools and the service that provides those patch
packages and not willing to accept an open source toolchain
alternative much less an alternative infrastructure for that
toolchain...

Solaris users are in the way of OpenSolaris becoming open source
because they depend on the Sun Microsystem's commercial Solaris
environment and do not want anything in OpenSolaris to change save for
more drivers and kernel features that do not break their precious
environment. Some of those very solaris users are also decidedly not
willing to pay for what they view as broken and shoddy tools/service
and yet they are not willing to accept any other open
source/transparent alternative. I say they better just stick to
Solaris and leave OpenSolaris alone.