> Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>> Dennis Clarke wrote:
>>
>>>   Simple question :
>>>
>>>     Can a person or person(s) with sufficient craft take the sources
>>>     from OpenSolaris.org and build a distro which *may* be certified
>>>     as UNIX ?
>>>
>>>     Yes or No ?
>>

>> Sources only?   I don't think so, at least not until Project Emancipation
>> is complete.    After that, I'm not sure what other pieces are missing
>> that are required.   (And then it would be just the core UNIX brand - for
>> Unix Workstation, you need CDE, which is right out.)
>
> What you would need for just the UNIX brand (not UNIX Workstation) would
> be the libraries, headers, commands, utilities, a conforming C compiler
> and then after that you would optionally need things like asy serial
> drivers if you wanted to brand with those optional things supported.

  I think that a lot of the details are found in :

    * System Interface Definitions, Issue 4, Version 2 (XBD)
    * System Interfaces and Headers, Issue 4, Version 2 (XSH)
    * Commands and Utilities, Issue 4, Version 2 (XCU)
    * Networking Services, Issue 4
    * X/Open Curses, Issue 4 Version 2

  terribly dry reading to be sure but they do define the requirments.

> A list could be made of everything that would be needed (though it would
> take a bit of time).

  Oh, I would think days and days of work.

> I am really curious now how much is missing from the sources currently
> available.  I will have to look at this.

  I too am very curious.  I think the bulk of "Commands and Utilities" from
the xpg4 area are available to us.  The "System Interfaces and Headers" as
well as "Networking Services" are in ON already.  It would be an
interesting list to make and almost .. dare I say it .. a separate project
?

Dennis