"Dennis Clarke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> track on a DVD.
> >>
> >> great feature !
> >
> > Ha! With this hint, I was able to find the relevant part in the cdrecord
> > manpage:
> >
> >     " To record a pure CD-DA (audio) at single  speed,  with  each
> >      track   contained   in   a   file   named   track01.cdaudio,
> >      track02.cdaudio, etc:
> >
> >          cdrecord -v speed=1 dev=2,0 -audio track*.cdaudio
> >
> >      . . . "

I don't see that this is related to DVD writing!

This is something that would need a rework. This is a quote of a 10 year old
part of ther manual page. speed=1 is definitely no longer senseful with current
drives. Most CD drives cannot write slower than 8x.

Also -audio is only needed in rare exceptions when you have RAW audio without
headers that allow cdrecord to find out that this is an audio file.

A few lines later...

     To copy an audio CD in the most accurate way, first run

         cdda2wav dev=2,0 -vall cddb=0 -B -Owav

     and then run

         cdrecord dev=2,0 -v -dao -useinfo -text  *.wav

> > Perhaps if I visit this forum frequent enough, I will be able to learn more
> > undocumented tricks ...

>From the cdrecord man page:
----->

     mented.  In -clone mode, a single file contains all data for
     the whole disk.  To allow DVD writing on platforms  that  do
     not  implement large file support, cdrecord concatenates all
     file arguments to a single track when writing to DVD media.

GENERAL OPTIONS
     General options must be before any track file name or  track
     option.
<--------

As you see, this is not undocumented. As many people complain about the length
of the cdrecord man page, some of the featureas are documented in the shortest
possible way.

The problem here seem to be the authors of various FAQs that do not properly
read the man page. They create the impression in the readers that the FAQ
mentions the best method and that there is no other way...

> cdrecord is the *only* thing I use for burning anything to anything.
>
> It just works. If you can't do the job with cdrecord then it probably can
> not be done at all.
>
> for example of the impossible see this thing :
>
> http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/blog/images/Microsoft_Windows_Vista_Business_Edition_DVD_s.png
>
> It can be mounted as both a HSFS as well as UDFS DVD but in neither case can
> readcd actually read its contents. Some wild and hokey things are going on
> there for sure. I did use star to read the UDF filesystem and copy it to my
> local harddisk but without the boot magic I hardly doubt that I can PXE boot
> Windows Vista. I have no idea if it can even do such a thing at all.

If you have a DVD with intentionally unreadable sectors (some kind of childish
"copy protection"), you may always use "readcd -noerror ....", as long as the
software does not check whether these sectors are unreadable in the copy.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)