I'm having trouble understanding this:

zfs create zfspool/home
zfs create zfspool/home/u1
zfs create zfspool/home/u2

For arguments sake u1 contains 5gb worth of data and u2 7gb worth of data.

Doing 'zfs list' zfspopol/home/u1 and zfspool/home/u2 shows 5gb and 7gb
respectively. However zfspool/home only shows a couple of kb, not my expected
12gb.

What is the thought behind separate filesystems and inheritance?! Using 'zfs
set quota=10G zfspool/home' is inherited to underlying filesystems, but not the
accumulated total usage is being considered.

Am I thinking of this in the wrong way, or...?