On Wed, 5 Sep 2007, Shawn Walker wrote:

> So it would seem:
> http://lwn.net/Articles/248227/
>
> If they actually follow through on this, I'd buy a new ATi card in a
> heartbeat.
>
> No offense to Intel for the great stuff they've done, but they just
> don't compete performance-wise...

I agree with the second comment there, Intel's approach not only seems
better but they're coming through with their promises.

We have DRI for Intel chipsets for OpenSolaris today. This was due to
Intel providing some specs and info to Sun. My hat is off to them.

Also, in the past ATI has had different drivers for open source and for
proprietary, AFAIK, and the performance has never been great for the open
source version. I would be skeptical of this cat/mouse game.

ATI/AMD have told Sun they would provide specs, but if they have it would
be as of very recent. The fact that they're a partner to Sun and have not
been able to provide such information makes me skeptical of anything
written up on LWN, my $0.02.

IMO, this is just another act of desparation, and I reccomend ATI only as
a last resort.

I've been very pleased with the nvidia driver that we have. While it is
not open source, it works really well.<wink>

--

Alan DuBoff - Solaris x86 IHV/OEM Group