On Fri, 2007-09-07 at 00:07 -0500, Shawn Walker wrote:
> On 05/09/07, Alan DuBoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Wed, 5 Sep 2007, Shawn Walker wrote:
> > > So it would seem:
> > > http://lwn.net/Articles/248227/
> > >
> > > If they actually follow through on this, I'd buy a new ATi card in a
> > > heartbeat.
> > >
> > > No offense to Intel for the great stuff they've done, but they just
> > > don't compete performance-wise...
> >
> > I agree with the second comment there, Intel's approach not only seems
> > better but they're coming through with their promises.
> >
> > We have DRI for Intel chipsets for OpenSolaris today. This was due to
> > Intel providing some specs and info to Sun. My hat is off to them.
> >
> > Also, in the past ATI has had different drivers for open source and for
> > proprietary, AFAIK, and the performance has never been great for the open
> > source version. I would be skeptical of this cat/mouse game.
>
> It seems the cat/mouse game will continue a bit. They have now
> clarified that the specs will only be available under NDA:
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=826&num=1
>
> However, supposedly, they will be funding the development of a 2D/3D
> open source driver in that will be written in cooperation with the
> community.
>
> A proprietary driver will still be their focus going forward for their
> primary customers.
>
> I'll just wait and see what happens out of this...

I have a feeling it'll just be a giant code dump, ATI programmers will
pat themselves on the back thinking everyone should grovel at their
presence because they disclosed some code. It would be nice if some
humility and openness could be shown rather than the current lack of
communication demonstrated by AMD.

Matthew