Bryan Miller writes:
> This appears to be one of the key distinctions between Open Solaris and other
> Open Source operating systems.  Proving these kinds of "updates" or patch
> bundles is a revenue stream for Sun and a matter or course for the others.
> For those of us coming from the BSD/Linux/et_al world it takes some educating
> as it isn't obvious at first blush. I am not saying it is bad.  Just
> different.   And, it explains why there are so many questions on this topic
> every week.

I wouldn't characterize it this way.

There's a new build of SXCR available every two weeks, and you can
certainly upgrade to that when it comes out.  It's pretty rapidly
moving -- you're getting the (very rough) equivalent of a Solaris
Update release every two weeks.

The rest of the story is in how we create patches and packages and how
upgrade itself works.  Currently, the creation of patches is a highly
labor-intensive and manual process.  It'd be simply infeasible to do
it for a release under active development, and the results would very
likely be ... well ... underwhelming for the users.

That part is being addressed by at least two projects (perhaps more)
that are in progress now on opensolaris.org.  These aim to provide a
more familiar package (rather than patch) oriented upgrade mechanism.

The issues involved are mostly technical, not revenue-related.