On 01/10/2007, Bryan Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > You really don't go about updating the system. There are no updates
> > made available for anything but the Production release of Solaris
> > (i.e. Solaris 10 at the moment).
> >
> > You *can* upgrade to the next release whenever it comes out.
> >
> > Also, if you installed the "Developer Edition" that automatically does
> > a full install. Everything that is part of Solaris is already installed.
> >
> > If you want to install additional software, I would suggest looking at
> > http://www.blastwave.org/
> >
> > --
> > Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] -
> > http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/
>
> This appears to be one of the key distinctions between Open Solaris and other
> Open Source operating systems.  Proving these kinds of "updates" or patch
> bundles is a revenue stream for Sun and a matter or course for the others.
> For those of us coming from the BSD/Linux/et_al world it takes some educating
> as it isn't obvious at first blush. I am not saying it is bad.  Just
> different.   And, it explains why there are so many questions on this topic
> every week.

That wouldn't really be an accurate characterization. As James pointed
out, it is primarily for technical reasons.

Once ips gets integrated and/or Project Indiana gets rolling, I would
expect this to change radically.

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/

"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not
tried it. " --Donald Knuth