On 10/31/07, Shawn Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Really, I don't see the problem here.

Don't you see? Ian acknowledged that there are serious misgiving with
his proposal/dictate. The community was earnestly working with Sun's
representatives, and making progress towards a set of guidelines for
use of the OpenSolaris trademark. (A mailing list, was created
specifically for this purpose: [EMAIL PROTECTED])

Ian decided to ignore that work. Ignoring the trademark and naming
project, Ian put forth Sun's/Jonathon's wishes into effect. (Make no
mistake, Ian and Jonathon speak for Sun, not the community. No one
ever elected them to represent the community nor to make decisions
allowing them to take action on what they feel "is best for my
community").

With this blatant disregard for community process, (and the
OpenSolaris constitution) what can we as a community do to change
anything, other than vote with our feet? (Shawn, I hope you have a
really good answer, because you seem to be speaking for Sun marketing
now, and  there are many people who are very upset about this, both
within and outside of Sun.)

Anyone who says that Indiana followed the OpenSolaris Community's
Constitutional process, is incorrect. In our constitutional method,
the Indiana project would have called upon the OGB to facilitate a
community vote of *ALL* the core contribs. IE: As an issue that is a
"community-wide decision" requires a vote would not be limited to the
"advocacy" CG... See first sentence of article III of the
constitution:
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/cab/governance/;jsessionid=9488BF7333F02856A5A068FD58038871

If, and only if, this vote passed would the OGB go forth and present
this to Sun, to see if this would be allowed. (The OGB is after all
supposed to be the official liason to Sun.)

At that point it would be Sun's call whether or not to allow Indiana
to be branded OpenSolaris.

The fact is that all the distros are OpenSolaris and they are all
community distros. If we are going to elevate one to an exalted
status, it must *NOT* be done by Sun executive decision.

-Brian

P.S. - The same reasons Sun chose not to call SXCE OpenSolaris apply
to Indiana. Built with closed source bits, behind Sun firewalls.

> --
> Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
> http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/
>
> "We don't have enough parallel universes to allow all uses of all
> junction types--in the absence of quantum computing the combinatorics
> are not in our favor..." --Larry Wall

- Brian Gupta

http://opensolaris.org/os/project/nycosug/