Brian Gupta wrote:
> On 10/31/07, Shawn Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> Because I'm working up to 18 hours a day single-handedly trying to
>>> rewrite opensolaris.org.
>>>
>> For which you should be commended; but in the meantime let's be
>> constructive in criticism? Please?
>>

> I think he is being very constructive, and has offered a solution:
>
> If Project Indiana wished to rename itself "OpenSolaris", one of the
> CGs that sponsored Project Indiana should have their OGB facilitator
> make a request to the OGB to have a community-wide vote to allow
> Indiana to be use the name "OpenSolaris".
>
> I suspect that many who are voicing opposition now, are not
> necessarily against Indiana being named OpenSolaris, but rather, they
> are voicing objection to Sun's "Chief Operating Platforms Officer"
> dictating that Project Indiana is "OpenSolaris", and is the "community
> distro".
>
> Cheers,
> Brian
>
> P.S. - As far as the existing distros being harmed. I would judge
> whether or not they are being harmed by talking to the developers
> responsible for the various distros. We have already had the chief
> developer behind MartUX express outrage, and announce his intention to
> leave the community over this naming issue, and it seems like
> Shillix's main developer is also very agitated by this unilateral move
> by Sun. (As he thought Shillix would be the leading candidate for a
> "community distro").

p.s. Better stop trying to publicly support your, J.'s and my positions,
you are harming yourself. And you may never get an answer, except from
Mr. sw. repeating his brainwashed stuff like "A few people of this
community accidently happen to be working for Sun, but opensolaris.org
is OPENsrc and is completely independent, blaah, fooo, wrong list", etc.

Thanks anyways for having tried hard.
I did quit for a bunch of associated reasons, a whole bundle. The brand
discussion is only part of it. But it shows how "the system Sun" appears
to be dealing with open src: Outsourcing, dictating, gaining profits.
Leaving the external fools who do something for free on their own,
rather than trying to support them by any means. If Blastwave and maybe
Nextenda had been ASKED and potentially involved, a lot could have
happened here, I believe. At no additional cost other than #0.)
listening and #1.) learning to respect the opinion of others.

If everything would be open, then everything would be open. Nobody could
expect getting a job, some funding or any further true support. Then I
would never have complained, you know.
But the way opensolaris.org is being run, by Sun, it is primarily
whatever machinery solely in place to feed the press, to make investors
happy, to produce propaganda. And of course to help Sun's selected elite
leadership to profit from the generated PROFITS. Under those
circumstances I'm no longer willing to bleed. Bleeding! Everybody knows
that I had been looking for a small humble Sun-job, this had been my
*dream* for many years. And actually my motivation to continue, again
and again. Despite my financial disaster. Not to mention other career
related targets like finishing my degree in mathematics anytime before
2040 ...
Any normal company would be recruiting "their"  enthusiast.

If a multi-billion $$$ company is willing to take "a first
SPARC-LiveDVD" for their marketing, and FOX for their flagship products
(in case of FOX for SPARC effectively saving a minimum of $40K to 50K
plus testing hardware, plus electricity bills, plus health insurance,
plus tax), why the hell can't they simply listen (and respond) to
justified questions like why Indiana, the so called "community distro",
needs to be a complete (sun-)re-invention of the wheel, rather than
building on any true (truly externally driven) COMMUNITY with a way
flatter hierarchy??? The few deciders here never responded to any of my
questions of that sort.
etc. etc. etc. The list is long.
Constructive criticism gets ignored. Then it is not a democracy.
Strictly speaking not even an instance of "the discussion" (see Oxford
dictionary).

All: Thank you for considering this, if anybody happens to try ...
p.s. Above content is not OT, see my earlier messages from last week and
before, thanks!

Respectfully,
M. Bochnig