> On Nov 2, 2007, at 10:16, Ian Murdock wrote:
>
>> All right.
>>
>> I don't even know where to begin.
>
> hear hear!  thanks for your candid insight Ian! .. i've only been at
> sun for about 10 years now, but from what i've seen it's always been
> a chaotic mess of consolidations replete with long pointless debates
> and packaging nightmares
>
> i'm sure i'm not the only one who *really* welcomes your efforts to
> move matterhorns of crusty historic cruft that seem to have existed
> for eons with solaris .. from my 100000 mile view - it seems to me
> that the opensolaris/linux comparison really breaks down since linux
> is really focused on the kernel, and opensolaris is really based on a
> meta consolidation - you're always going to have a few vocal
> advocates for how things should really be branded (eg: RMS and GNU/
> Linux) .. but damn the politics and keep pressing on!

I am 100% behind this great work and I could not agree more.
If Dr. Salk and Dr. Sabin were to release the polio vaccine today
then I think that people would line up and take it regardless of
the name. I think that the "OpenSolaris Developer Preview" is a
serious shot in the arm for the OpenSolaris Community and it cures
some tragic flaws.

My opinion.

Dennis Clarke
http://www.blastwave.org/

ps : I have work to do in order to get software available via a
     public community based software repository.