> > What kind of optical drive do you use?
> > (P-ATA? S-ATA?, USB?)
> > What kind of disk controller is used for the optical device?
>
> I use  S-ATA everything (very new board) with NVidia NForce controller

So, most likely this is bug 6595488, the missing
atapi support in the nv_sata driver.

> So the system boots fine off the SATA Optical drive
> .. but then can't get back to the drive to find the
> install software .. !

Yep.  Loading grub, the kernel and the miniroot ramdisk image
is done by the system's BIOS.

After the kernel starts it must use it's own unix drivers to
access the devices.  The driver for the nvidia sata controller
has s-ata hdd support, but no s-ata atapi device support at this
time.

> Would using/booting from a USB CD/DVD-Rom work ???

That should work.

Or:

On some boards you can also change the configuration of the
s-ata controller to p-ata "legacy ide" (instead of ahci mode).  In
legacy mode, Solaris should be able to find both the (s-ata) isks
and the (s-ata) optical device.