On 22/11/2007, Joerg Schilling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jürgen Keil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On some boards you can also change the configuration of the
> > s-ata controller to p-ata "legacy ide" (instead of ahci mode).  In
> > legacy mode, Solaris should be able to find both the (s-ata) isks
> > and the (s-ata) optical device.
>
> What is the disadvantage from the legacy mode?

You should see better peformance in AHCI mode (in theory).

In addition, the disadvantage is that if you are dual-booting with
Windows, this is not something you can change without re-installing
Windows (possibly).

For example, my system is in legacy mode currently, even though
Solaris Express b75 and newer works fine in AHCI mode. This is because
Windows blue screens immediately upon booting if I switch from the
mode that Windows was installed in (Legacy) to AHCI mode.

Thus, switching this mode can have unintended consequences.

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/

"We don't have enough parallel universes to allow all uses of all
junction types--in the absence of quantum computing the combinatorics
are not in our favor..." --Larry Wall