> OpenSolaris could have alot more champions/support if
> it could just keep the drivers area going so people
> could actually install it in the first place ;-)

Considering how challenging it was to install Solaris 9 on the i86pc platform
just a couple of years ago, today's "OpenSolaris generation" has it real easy
and nice in terms of hardware support. There are so many drivers in OpenSolaris
now, and so much more i86pc hardware is supported, people have no idea.

I still remember contacting Juergen about the ATAPI DMA, and him giving me
snippets of the dissasembled /kernel/drv/ata driver along with the instructions
on which cmp instruction to change from #$55 to #$05 (or was it #$05 to #$55
Juergen? It's been a while.)

It's like picnic on Bahamas for you guys.

> Any hints on how to get the install to recognise the
> disks ... apparently I have the drivers

Yes. Configure the drives to be in PATA mode in the BIOS and destroy any RAIDs
if they are configured (you'll use ZFS for that, which is far superior to
anything they could give you with your PC bucket).

Performance loss, if any, if at all, should be negligible, as the disks
themselves could never even reach the SATA bus bandwidth, and physical
limitations can't give you more than ~72MB/s peaks anyway.