Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

>> power
>
>>> BTW, It seems that whoever wrote this bit of code
>> needs to learn about SI units, since I thought power
>> was measured in Watts, not MHz. I thought MHz was a
>> unit of frequency and not power.
>>>
>> I wrote the bit of code and yes, I was embarrassed
>> when I read it over
>> as part of this thread. I was wondering if anyone was
>> going to mention
>> the absurdity of its content.
>

> It gave me a laugh! Perhaps you should change it before anyone elses notices
> it!

Glad I could at least amuse you. By the way, spell check didn't catch
"elses"?

Yes, I've already filed:

6636222 "NOTICE: cpudrv_pm_set_topspeed: instance 0: has new max power
of 2000 MHz" needs to go

> BTW, if you, or anyone else writes any code that will reduce the speed of a
> CPU and want it tested on a Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0 GHz, which (according
> to the sticker on the front of my laptop) "supports Intel SpeedStep
> Technology", let me know.
>
> kstat -m cpu_info -s supported_frequencies_Hz
>
> says it supports 1000, 1333, 1667 and 2000 Watts (sorry, MHz).

Actually, I really hope it was reported in Hz not MHz. ;-)

Try adding the following to your /etc/power.conf file:

cpupm           enable
cpu-threshold   15s

I believe these keywords are in the the power.conf(4) man page shipping
with snv_70b.

Then execute /usr/pmconfig. I think you'll find that code has already
been written to reduce the speed of your CPU. And we're working on
improving it and Solaris power management in general. We've got a bit of
catching up to do.

Mark