> Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

> > The ability to reduce the speed would be useful. I
> do notice the batteries die a lot quicker on this
> laptop (Sony VGN-SZ4XWN/C dual core 2.0 GHz Intgel
> Due 2 core T7200 CPU) when on Solaris than Vista.
> Do you have autopm enabled? If not, see
> power.conf(4).

Yes, it is enabled. But I'm not sure it is working.

bash-3.00$  grep -v ^# /etc/power.conf

device-dependency-property removable-media /dev/fb

autopm                  default
autoshutdown            30              9:00 9:00               default

The powerd daemon (/usr/lib/power/powerd) is running.

But it is certainly not shutting down after 30 mins.

I'm a bit confused by this in the power.conf man page:

"    Device Power Management entries are only effective if  there
     is  no  user  process  controlling  the device directly. For
     example, X Windows systems directly control  frame  buffers.
     The entries in the power.conf file are effective only when X
     Windows is not running.
"

The sentance "The entries in the power.conf file are effective only when X
Windows is not running."  says it will not work if X is running. Given 99% if
users are going to use X, that means the power management will almost never
work.

Or is that *supposed* to me the framebuffer entries will not work if X is
running? If so, the word framebuffer should be inserted in the man page. (I
also think graphics card or graphics chipset too, since few users of only
Solaris x86 will know what a framebuffer is. As a SPARC user, I do. ).

*IF* it is supposed to mean only the framebuffer related entries do not work,
perhaps something like:

   "Device Power Management entries are only effective if  there
     is  no  user  process  controlling  the device directly. For
     example, X Windows systems directly control  graphics card or graphics
chipsets (framebuffers on SPARC hardware).
     The graphics entries in the power.conf file are effective only when X
     Windows is not running."

Or if it really means all entries are disabled, then perhaps something like:

"Device Power Management entries are only effective if  there
     is  no  user  process  controlling  the device directly. For
     example, X Windows systems directly control  graphics card or graphics
chipsets (framebuffers on SPARC hardware).  All entries (not just those related
to graphics) are ignored when  X Windows is running."

Perhaps I am being thick, but it is a bit confusing to me. Perhaps I should
submit this as an RFE.

One more thing. I think it would be useful if there was a forum specifically
addressing laptop users. I run Solaris 10 update 4 on my Blade 2000 and Solaris
Express Developer Edition  9/07 snv_70b X86 on my laptop. I have a completely
different set of issues on the laptop, which are very much going to be specific
to laptop users.