On Dec 3, 2007 4:14 AM, Dr. David Kirkby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > None of Intel's cards have thermal sensors, and their
> > driver software is very
> > basic.  NVIDIA is the only company to provide
> > accelerated drivers and
> > utilities to non-Windows operating systems.  You
> > don't set the resolution
> > with the utlity, that's why the XRandR extension was
> > such an important
> > milestone to accomplish when X.org 7.x was instituted
> > on OpenSolaris.  Again,
> > the Intel cards lack the functionality.
> >
> > James
>
> Thank you James. It looks like I am OK now, as I think both the Nvidia and
> the Intel graphics are working correctly. I can live with reduced control on
> Intel.
>
> I see some web page say Sony claim 4.5 hours typical use on the Intel chip
> set of this laptop and 3.5 when using the Nvidia. I can't say I've seen that
> from Sony, nor can I say I have measured it myself, but it does run
> significantly warmer when using the Nvidia, so I can well believe it reduces
> the battery life by 20-25%.

For the record, in the last year or so Intel did start providing
*code* and a binary blob for accelerated drives and that work is being
adopted for Solaris/OpenSolaris if I'm not mistaken.

Plus Intel has reassigned individuals such as Dave Stewart to work on
bringing Intel-specific platform optimisations and functionality to
Solaris/OpenSolaris.

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/

"We don't have enough parallel universes to allow all uses of all
junction types--in the absence of quantum computing the combinatorics
are not in our favor..." --Larry Wall